What did the 2016 Major Championship winners have in their golf bags?
By Drew Farmer
Golf clubs and balls play a big part in a golfer’s game. Being comfortable with the tools of the trade is important and a good craftsman is only as good as the items he or she uses.
So, what golf clubs did the PGA’s major championship winners use in 2016?
The 2016 Masters Tournament was the first and so far only major championship Englishman Danny Willet has won. This year, he is back to show it was no fluke.
Willet’s win at Augusta was a combination of timely play and the clubs he used. The Englishman used a Callaway XR16 driver in the tournament after introducing it to his golf bag earlier in the year. It was a club he used to win the Dubai Desert Classic as well. Willet’s bag was filled with Callaway clubs and balls throughout the year, and he’ll be using the brand as he attempts a repeat performance in 2017.
Willet’s golf bag:
- Ball: Callaway SR3
- Driver: Callaway XR16
- 3-wood: Callaway XR16
- 5-wood: Callaway XR16
- Irons (2, 4): Callaway Apex UT; (5-9): Callaway Apex Pro; (PW): Callaway Mack Daddy 2 S Grind
- Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind
- Putter: Odyssey Versa #1
The 2016 PGA Player of the Year has totalled 14 tour wins during his career. Johnson is a TaylorMade man, and his preference is to use the brand’s clubs and balls. With Johnson’s play over the last few years, it is hard to argue with his choice in equipment.
In 2016, Johnson changed up his equipment slightly, and the returns were very noticeable as he won the US Open.
Johnson’s golf bag:
- Ball: TaylorMade Tour Preferred X
- Driver: TaylorMade M1 460 (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 2.0 Tour Spec 661X)
- 3-wood: TaylorMade M1
- Irons (2): TaylorMade Tour Preferred UDI; (3-PW): TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB 14
- Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF
- Putter: Scotty Cameron by Titleist prototype
The 2016 The Open Championship winner Henrik Stenson has been playing professionally since 1998.
Now 40, the Swede has five PGA Tour wins and 11 European Tour wins under his belt. Stenson has been described as one of the best players from tee to green; so, what equipment helped him seal The Open Championship?
Stenson’s golf bag:
- Ball: Titleist Pro V1
- Driver: Callaway XR 16 (Oban Tour Kiyoshi 60x )
- 3-wood: Callaway Diablo Octane Tour
- Irons (2-PW): Callaway Legacy Black
- Wedges: Callaway MD3 Milled
- Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG #7H Putter
The 2016 PGA Championship winner, Jimmy Walker made over $4 million in earnings during the year.
Walker has been known to keep around some of his old clubs that worked well for him in the past, and he continues to break them out with regularity.
At the PGA Championship, Walker had a 12-year-old Scotty Cameron Newport putter in his golf bag. When something works, why not stick with it?
Walker’s golf bag:
- Ball: Titleist Pro V1x
- Driver: Titleist 917D2 (UST Elements Platinum 7)
- 3-wood: TaylorMade M1
- 5-wood: Titleist 915Fd
- Irons (3-9): Titleist 716 MB; (PW): Titleist Vokey SM6
- Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6
- Putter: Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport2 303 GSS
Drew Farmer is a freelance writer and Better Birdies contributor. Follow him on Twitter @DrewMFarmer
Categorised in: On The Tour